COLOUR IS IMPORTANT
Colour really should be at the top of the list. The first priority in selecting the right rug should be choosing the right colour.
Here are a couple of tips when it comes to selecting the right colours:
- Be aware that light has colour, so looking at your rug in different lights will make the colours look different ie: daylight, fluorescent light, incandescent light. If you are not 100% sure, look at the rug in the room during the day and at night.
- Colours around your rug will affect how the colour of your rug will look. For example, if you put a green rug beside a blue wall it will adopt a blue tinge.
- Different yarns reflect or absorb light differently. Synthetic will usually show colours more brightly than natural fibres like wool, cotton, jute etc...
- Light and colour will appear differently when it is reflected off the side of yarn, like loop pile yarn, compared to how it will look to the cut edge of yarn.
- Even though colours may not be exactly the same and don't technically 'match', try it. Often colours will blend and still look good anyway ie: matching a cushion or lamp shade with a rug.